Available at The Met Store online only. The restored Temple of Dendur Reconstructing the temple proved to be a monumental task pun intended. Now it's one of the Met's top attractions- a piece of ancient Egypt in the heart of modern Manhattan. It shares the same fame as a number of other such temples in , such as , in that it was saved from the waters of the rising Lake Nasser behind the by being dismantled and moved. Ancient Egypt and Archaeology Web Site - Temple of Dendur in it's current location within the Metropolitan Museum Temple of Dendur, c.
These scenes are repeated in two horizontal registers. Dendur Dandour - An Egyptian Temple for New York AscendingPassage. That, along with Belzoni's best-selling book, inspired one of the several waves of Egypt-o-mania that have swept across Britain, and indeed across western Europe. In Egyptian culture, temples were places where gods and goddesses were believed to live. This misspelling seems to be deliberate, in order to achieve more symmetry in the hieroglyphs. In the brilliant Egyptian sunlight, shadows cast along the figures' edges would have emphasized their outlines.
About us Tour Egypt aims to offer the ultimate Egyptian adventure and intimate knowledge about the country. Bankes had broadly plotted the temple in 1815 and added detail in 1819: a ceiling decoration of alternating winged vultures and cobras, the north door which, while well cut, was certainly not in the original plan and remains of paint on the cornice of the pylon. On those of the pronaos I observed lotus plants in flower, as at Dakke, with persons making offerings to them. Wady Gharby Dendur Temple Dandour, Dendoor or Dendûr. Met Director Thomas Hoving and Curator of Egyptian Art Henry G. Other images in the relief carvings include images of the sun and the god Horus with outstretched wings above the gate and temple entrance.
Known as the Temple of Dendur it is both an incredible example of ancient artistry and one of the museum's most famous exhibits. The reason for their deification is unclear. The two columns supporting the porch resemble large, thick stalks of papyrus wrapped with lotus blossoms with decorative foliate capitals. This temple is believed to be the only extant Egyptian temple on display in the Western Hemisphere, making it a truly remarkable and priceless object. Henry Salt was one of the most indefatigable diplomats. When the Aswan High Dam was initially constructed, the Temple did not experience significant effects from the flooding of Lake Nasser. Raised reliefs are sculptures that stand out from their background.
The Temple of Dendur was dismantled in the mid-twentieth century, when the construction of the Aswan High Dam threatened to cover it with rising water. And one need not even go to Egypt to see an Egyptian monument. The construction of the Aswan dam posed a threat to the temple as the site would get washed away by Lake Nasser, as a result of which the temple was relocated. The Temple, though never completed, was built 50 miles south of the Egyptian city of along the west bank of the. Inside the Sackler Wing, designed by the architects , , and associates, a reflecting pool in front of the temple and a sloping wall behind it, represent the Nile and the cliffs of the original location. Behind the propylon is the pronaos, with two columns in front similar to those of the temple of Dakke.
Lining the lower outer walls of the temple are incised repeated patterns of papyrus and lotus flowers, rendered to appear as if they're growing out of the water. Excerpt from: Travels in Nubia by John Lewis Burckhardt Published in 1819. However, when the Dam was raised in 1933, the Temple experienced disastrous flooding. Papyrus and lotus are water-loving plants common to the land around the Nile River, and both are important symbols in Egyptian religion and mythology. The twenty-six drawings hold details of missing reliefs and some interesting architectural information including remains of what he considered the church conversion and a perhaps previously unrecorded structure near the end of the terrace.
Moving is hard for everyone, but after 2,000 years and one of the most extensive immigration processes in American history, the Temple of Dendur had found a new home. In the 1960s, the Egyptian government started looking at ways to control the flooding of the Nile in order to open up more land for farming. Reliefs have been used to decorate the temple partly while carvings of papyrus and lotus as if they are growing out of the water of the Nile adorned the base of the temple and symbolized by the depictions of God Hapy. From the gate to the rear of the temple, the Temple of Dendur is 82 feet 25 meters long, and the blocks of the temple are heavily covered in carvings with Classical Egyptian motifs ranging from lotuses to the sun disc of Horus; at one time, these carvings were decorated in colorful paint, and they have been defaced by various visitors throughout the centuries who left graffiti behind, with the most recent graffiti dating to the 1800s. Emperor Augustus is depicted as a pharaoh on the outer walls making offerings to the Egyptian Gods Isis, Osiris, and Horus.
Image via , In 1965, the Egyptian government gifted the Temple of Dendur to the United States government which helped save many Nubian monuments from drowning in the floods of Lake Nasser through the. Overlooking the Nile is a 30 meters cult terrace. The tops of the pylon and the temple where the walls meet the roof were bordered by a cavutto cornice, a decorative edge ddesigned in a repeating pattern of concave or inward bending shapes that flare out at the top, in a design resembling palm fronds. The structures also feature cavutto cornices, upper edges along the rooflines with concave flaring shapes that resemble palm fronds. Other Western nation's consuls also gathered collections of antiquities. It is not on the main axis of the temple and may have been the original shrine.
As thanks for the tremendous financial and academic support which made these relocations possible, the government of Egypt decided to give the United States of America a gift. Also representing the sky is images of vultures with wings spread appearing on the ceiling of the entrance porch. On April 27, 1967, the temple was awarded to , where it was installed in the Sackler Wing in 1978. This marked the beginning of the systematic pillage of Egypt's archaeological patrimony on the part of the most important European countries in particular, France, Great Britain, Austria and Prussia and their diplomats. Excerpt from: Travels in Nubia by John Lewis Burckhardt Published in 1819. Offer does not apply to prior purchases, clearance products, or select items including Museum Admission, Museum Memberships, donations and eGift Certificates. Inside the doorway is a Coptic inscription dedicating the church.